Monday 17 May 2010

Who the hell is GAYNGS? and can I join?

Photobucket

When I first read about Gayngs and saw the symbol in various magazines, blogs etc I thought it was going to be some try hard experimental abstract, strange for strange sake concept album, but on the very first listen I gathered something uniquely amazing was happening here. The brains behind the project is Ryan Olson who has the enviable/unenviable task of collaborating the talents of Bon Iver, Megafaun, The Rosebuds, Solid Gold, Leisure Birds and more to make a prog jazz excursion influenced apparently by 10ccs 'I'm not in Love', talk about having the work cut out for you. Songs like 'Last Prom on Earth' sound like Barry White or Isaac Hayes meets Weather Report and Bones, Thugs n Harmoney or early Outkast, its fucking ace and the result is pure summer magnificence. I hope the next part of the project 'making it live' comes together with the same degree of precision and sweetness. The album is out now on Jagjaguwar.

Photobucket

Download 'The Gaudy Side of Town' by Gayngs via the Jagjaguwar websiteHERE

Download 'Faded High' by Gayngs via the Jagjaguwar websiteHERE

No comments: